Friday, October 8, 2010

In about 13 hours from now I will be gun ho with 1800 other people in the washing machine that the ocean will become. Everybody in the condo traveled to some waterfalls this afternoon and left me alone to chill and get ready. I got my bike and transition bags checked in down on the pier and I made myself some chicken and pasta for dinner. It's been like a little calm before the storm. It's a beautiful sunset from the lanai.

As I relax here I need to reflect a little about the big dance tomorrow. The last 6 months have flown by just like this trip has. I can't wait for tomorrow to get here but I am also enjoying the journey too much to let it go. Although I have been training for this race for the last 6 months it has been a dream/goal for 15 years and it is amazing that it is real and its tomorrow. I feel very lucky to have gotten in and I feel extremely blessed by the support i have received along the way.

First and foremost I have to thank my wife, Lindsey. Without her love, support and understanding none of this could have been possible. Training for this has kept me gone for long periods of time every weekend and she never had an issue with any of it. Not only that but she was the only person there all of the time through good and bad times. She put up with a tired and sometimes grumpy husband. As far as equipment goes, triathlon is an expensive sport and let's just say Lindsey was very understanding. She is a really good mother to our 2 girls and I just want to say thank you and I appreciate you. I am looking forward to changing roles as you get ready for your first marathon in December. You'll do great and the girls and I are lucky to have you.

And my best buddy, Danny, I owe so much of this race and the last 6 months to him. Danny has been my coach through all of this and his experience has helped me be in the best shape I could be in right now. During the last 6 months I have lost about 15 pounds and have set several PR's this season and that's after 15 years of racing. I truly felt that those kind of days were behind me at this point. Most importantly Danny re-ignited my love of competition, training, and desire to always improve. I had gotten way too "comfortable" in a lot of ways in the last 8 years and if Ironman wouldn't have happened I would still be on that track to accepting "comfortable". Danny is a motivating person who is continually striving to be the best he can be in whatever he pursues and his attitude and outlook cant help but be infectious. Thank you for everything Danny, including being my bro.

My XC team, woot woot! I love these guys and am so proud of all of them. I can say with all honesty that I truly appreciate the fact that each of them run on our team. Our team seems like a family and I want them all to know that they motivate me more than I could ever motivate them. Tomorrow the run is 26 miles long and I have 26 kids on the team and I will dedicate one mile to each of them. I think they will help me get through the toughest of parts and I know they'll be supporting me online from Socorro. The theme for this years Ironman is ke alahele o ke koa, which means the way of the warrior. Our XC cheer is "we run LONG, we run HARD, 1, 2, 3, WARRIORS!"

My little girl, Emma. I'm notntrying to ignore Grace here but she is so little she will not remember this trip or experience. There will be others for her. But my Emma is plenty old enough to take it all in. She is one of the reasons I decided to create this blog so she could look back on it someday and read about it all. I want her to believe that she can do anything. I want her to be a healthy, happy, confident, and strong girl. If you know her, she is already very athletic and has such good coordination. She can do a one handed cartwheel perfectly and has been diving and swimming since she was 2. She ran the 1 mile underpants run with me yesterday too. She is just so awesome and my heart melts when I see her growing up. I look forward to seeing her tomorrow cheering me on and I look forward seeing her in high school tearing up the XC scene.

Last and in no way least is my big brother, Mike. Mike is the reason I started triathlon. He is the reason I played basketball. He is a teacher and so am I. We both drive suburbans and each have 2 kids. My point is the theme here is that I have always wanted to do, to be like, to immulate my big brother. Luckily he has always proven to be a good role model. I have been here to the Big Island twice to watch him become an Ironman and now he is here to support me. I have always wanted to make my brother proud. I even remember regretting showing him stuff I had because he would more than likely end up with it but I just could never resist trying to impress him. I actually beat him in a triathlon recently, something that has only happened twice in the last 15 years, and like when I was little I hoped he was impressed with the work I've put in. I know he knows the work I've put in because he has trained with me more than anyone getting ready for this. Sometimes at a cost to his races he would ride very long with me. It was so much nicer to have someone with me to talk to and push me. Thanks bro for being here now and always, I'll make you proud.

There are other people too like Robert, EP, Mathew, Ephraim, and Tony who I appreciate having as friends and supporters so thank you too.

"awards become corroded but friends gather no dust" - Jesse Owens

Aloha

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the kind words Steven. While it is important to acknowledge those that support you, it is equally important to remember that at the beginning of each and every day it is YOU who made the decision to challenge and better yourself. No one did the work for you and no one can cross that finish line but you. It has been an incredibly fun journey, one in which I am honored you let me share in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey thanks Steven, I'm tracking you as I type this. Super EXCITING!! Very proud of you bro...You have alot on your plate these days and still the determination you have is awesome. We are very excited for you. Can't wait to see you cross that finish line. KEEP IT UP BRO YOU'RE LOOKING GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bro, I was proud of you the day you were born!

    ReplyDelete