Tuesday, June 8, 2010


Day 52: 6/5/2010

Olympic distance raceday. The lake was not as cold as it usually is because of the recent heat wave throughout the southwest. I lined myself up well and had a good swim in 24:09, good enough for the 20th best swim of the day. I was really dizzy when I got to transition and had a hard time focusing on being fast.

The bike was good and I felt like I rode hard but I finished with a near identical time to last year in 1:07 compared to 1:08 for the 40 km course. My bike split was the 15th fastest of the day.

I know a good result in any triathlon will hinge on the run and I was looking forward to it but for whatever reason my first half of the run was horrible and I was hating it. My Garmin wasn't working so I couldn't tell you what my pace was but I was just crawling. I never stopped running though and I started to feel better and started running faster after 3 miles. The second half of my run was great and I passed some people but finished with a run time very identical to last year in 48:29, 7:48 per mile pace and 26th best on the day. Total time was 2:24:45 and I finished 20th overall which was an improvement from last year by 1:21.

While my nutrition was good, I did make 2 mistakes. First I think it would have been beneficial to swim in my wetsuit the day before just long enough to remind myself of that tight feeling of having a rubber suit around your chest. And second, brick runs or runs that I do right after a bike ride are important and they need to start happening in my training. All in all I thought my race was OK, nothing horrible or spectacular.


No comments:

Post a Comment