Monday, July 5, 2010

Day 79, 80, 81 and 82: 7/2 - 7/5/2010

Happy Fourth of July weekend!

On Friday I was up really early as the plan was to get in an hour bike before XC practice at 6:30 am. I was exactly half way through the ride and getting ready to start some intervals when I crossed some railroad tracks and my crankarm fell off! In 15 years of riding this has never happened to me before. My left shoe was still attached to the pedal, which was attached to the crankarm, but the crankarm wasn't attached to my bike! It sucked but I suppose it could have been worse and I could have crashed or injured myself. On Friday we also left for Las Cruces to make the drive to Tucson a little shorter.

Saturday consisted of driving, checking into the race and hotel.

The Tucson Firecracker Triathlon was on Sunday. The race consisted of a 750 LC meter swim, a 12 mile - 3 loop bike course, and a 3 mile run. I finished the race 7th overall and 1st in the 30-34 age group. I was really happy with my bike but my swim didn't show up and my triathlon run is still awol. I swear I can run during training! All in all I was happy with my race and it was really fun to be finished in an hour! My bro, Mike, placed second overall. We'll see if he does the third race of the series as the final race in Tucson is the same day as the Hawaii Ironman. Hmm... Tucson or Kona, Kona or Tucson????

Today is Monday and we're still in Tucson and getting ready to make the trip back to Socorro. No training today but I'll get back on schedule tomorrow. July is the start of the "real" IM training as the clock is ticking fast and October 9th isn't too far off. It'll be here before I know it and that scares me because I know it's true.

2 comments:

  1. Nice job in Tucson bro. We were at the beach with my inlaws for 4 days so all I could do was run. I don't usually take my bike down there because there is so much to do with the kids I'd feel guilty if I took off for 2 hours. Easier to throw on the sneakers and sneek off for an hour at 5am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see on the news that the beach is the best place to be if you're on the East Coast! Heat wave!!

    ReplyDelete